Book Review: My Date From Hell by Tellulah Darling
Title: My Date From Hell
Series: The Blooming Goddess Trilogy #2
Author: Tellulah Darling
Source: YA Bound Book Tours
Sophie Bloom’s junior year has been a bit of a train wreck. After the world’s greatest kiss re-awakened Sophie’s true identity as Persephone (Goddess of Spring and Savior of Humanity), she fought her dragon-lady guidance counselor to the death, navigated mean girl Bethany’s bitchy troublemaking, and dealt with the betrayal of her backstabbing ex, Kai (sexy Prince of Darkness). You’d think a girl could catch a break.
With Zeus stepping things up, it’s vital that Sophie retrieve Persephone’s memories and discover the location of the ritual to stop Zeus and Hades. So when Aphrodite strikes a deal that can unlock Sophie’s pre-mortal past, what choice does the teen goddess have but to accept?
The mission: stop media mogul Hermes from turning Bethany into a global mega-celebrity. The catch? Aphrodite partners Sophie and Kai to work together … and treat this suicide mission as a date. Which could work out for Sophie’s plan to force Kai to admit his feelings for her–if she doesn’t kill him first.
Add to that the fact that BFF Theo’s love life and other BFF Hannah’s actual life are in Sophie’s hands, and suddenly being a teenager—even a godlike one—seems a bit like … well, hell. Whatever happened to dinner and a movie?
The YA romantic comedy/Greek mythology fireworks continue to fly inMy Date From Hell. Love meets comedy with a whole lot of sass in book two of this teen fantasy romance series. Breaking up is easy; dating is deadly.
OMG! OMG! OMG! Let me compose myself for a little bit. This book (series rather) has blown my mind and the minute I finished reading it, I wanted to re-read it all over again just so I can relive the experience. I am left with a mix of emotions that I can’t sort out right now. I warn you, I will praise this book because it deserves it and more! I was fully entertained with the characters and their hilarious dialogues, enjoyed an adventure that I was not expecting and was left with a eagerness and craving like an addict in withdrawal. Tellulah had me high with so much awesomeness and I knew I needed the last book, My Life From Hell, that instant. Ohhhh the wait! But enough gushing, let’s list down the major points of how insanely good My Date From Hell is.
WHY MY DATE FROM HELL ROCKED:
- Characters. First and foremost reason why My Date From Hell and the series as a whole is fantastic is because of how well the characters are written. I love characters that has spunk and can kick ass. I love character who stands out. Not only is there Sophie and Kai, the driving force of this adventure, but even the secondary characters rocked. That does not happen often. I love Theo and Hannah even before but the additional of Festos is really the cherry on top. These guys were pure entertainment. Sophie + Theo + Hannah = will make you laugh ’til your tummy ache, Sophie + Kai = makes your insides tingly and your heart race, Theo + Festos = all the mush and gush in a good way, and put them all together = AHSKSOGERFSLBDGNPGERG!!!! No words. Seriously, no words.
- Story. If you have started the series from the first book, My Ex From Hell, you already know that Sophie/Persephone is in deep trouble as both Zeus and Hades team up to kill our star. Both head huncho does not want our dear hero to remember everything as Persephone thus the never ending torment and danger in Sophie’s life. Now in My Date From Hell, the story picked up right were the first book ended and progressed as we uncover the secrets to finding the truth about Sophie’s life as Persephone. She does not remember and the journey of uncovering those is wicked. We are given answers to questions that we were eager to ask. And so much more.
- Ending/Twist. OMG! I have to state that there were no cliffhangers so all of you who hates that can simmer down. Immersed as I was with the trilogy, I did not expect and imagined that twist in the end. I love were the story is heading and I can’t wait to finally read how this story will end. HA!
- Pacing. So let e give you an idea. I started reading this book immediately after I finished work. I was planning to read a couple of chapters but ended up finishing it. This bad boy did not let me sleep a wink. I stayed up all night and worked right after – feeling energized and giddy. It was like me whenever I had 2 cups of coffee in 3 hours. It was all worth it!
- Sophie + Kai.
OMG! OMG! OMG!Oh all the feels! Anybody who reads my review know that I am not a fan of romantic stories especially in YA. YA books tends to make romance the selling point regardless the connection of it to the plot. I hate that fact. I want a romance in its purest form. A romance that feels right. It needs chemistry, it needs the right partnership between the peeps involved. It needs to feel normal without sounding script-y. You know what I mean. Sophie and Kai may not be the most romantic and would not be my number one choice if asked the question BUT their relationship is one that I enjoyed the most. It was mushy in the right places, the chemistry between these two is insane and both characters complemented each other.
- Tellulah Darling. The series will not be a hit without the ability of this fantastic writer. After reading the first book, I immediately knew that this series will rock but Tellulah exceeded all my expectations and more with My Date From Hell. I knew that I would enjoy it but I was not expecting this much. As I said earlier, I immediately wanted to re-read the series all over again and grab a copy of My Life From Hell right there and then. But I am kind of afraid for the final book as Tellulah needs to really write an explosive ending. High expectations and all that. Anyway, thank you Tellulah from writing such an entertaining read that became one of my favorites for 2014.
WHY MY DATE FROM HELL SUCKED:
Yup that’s right! there is not a single thing to hate about this book unless you hate mythology, anything teen related, or you just don’t like to laugh. -.- or to wait.
Let’s wrap this up. BEWARE of My Date From Hell. It causes serious troubles to those who has read it. So far I have experienced uncontrollable laughter from remembering Sophie’s antics. Stomach aches from forgetting to eat because I can’t stop reading. Lack of sleep for eagerness to finish the book. Euphoria and tingling sensation from the feels of Sophie and Kai (and the other one, well three – hopefully). And a major hungover. I can’t seem to pickup and read any book after reading My Date From Hell. Geeez! I may somewhere in this review sounded insane but seriously, if you can’t see how much I loved this book then I don’ know how to explain it anymore. Not only are you getting a well thought and written story with characters that rocked but you’ll also enjoy endless entertainment that you will remember day, months and even years from now. This is one of those books that you’ll want to read because it is that good!
BOOKS IN THE SERIES
PURCHASE LINKS: Amazon
Sassy girls. Swoony boys. What could go wrong?
1. YA romantic comedy author because her first kiss sucked and she’s compensating.
2. Alter ego of former screenwriter.
3. Sassy minx.
Geeks out over: cool tech.
Squees for: great storytelling.
Delights in: fabulous conversation.
Writes about: where love meets comedy. Awkwardness ensues.
Tellulah Darling is a firm believer that some of the best stories happen when love meets comedy. Which is why she has so much fun writing young adult romantic comedy novels. Her tales span contemporary, teen fantasy romance, and YA Greek mythology, and range from stand alone books to series. For Tellulah, teen romance is the most passionate, intense, and awkward there is – a comedy goldmine. Plus smart, mouthy, teen girls rock.